Getty is a visual media company based in the US. They allow contributors to add their original files to the site’s online collections and make available for purchase. It supplies stock images, editorial photography, video, and music for business and consumers with an archive of over 200 million assets. It targets three main markets – creative professionals (advertising and graphic design), the media (print and online publishing), and corporate (in-house design, marketing and communication departments).
Contributors make money by means of royalties from their product sales. The royalty rate depends on the quality, category, and popularity of each individual product. So your earnings can vary.
- Wide variety – Getty’s wide range of not only file types but also file categories and/or genre makes almost visual media product suitable for submission. Of course, not every file has guaranteed acceptance, this is dependent on the quality.
- Guaranteed copyright – Once your product is uploaded to the site, it is immediately protected against any copyright infringement. This is, of course, assuming you have not broken any copyright laws yourself.
- Download the mobile app – in order to sign up and begin submitting media files to be reviewed, the mobile app Contributor by Getty Images must be downloaded.
- Known persons’ permission – if using a particular model’s/person’s/company’s imagery in your files, you MUST have in your possession the written permission of the individual in question. Otherwise, your file will not be eligible for upload and you may even be in trouble with the law.
- 18 years of age.
How To Sign Up
1. Download Contributor by Getty Images app – this will lead to startup page, seen below.
2. Personal details – this initially includes an email address and country of residence, as pictured here:
3. Add photos (or other) for review – you can add 3-6 files for review. After this, you will find out whether or not you have been accepted. If you have, your files will become available for purchase.