Gumtree is one of the largest online user marketplaces in the UK. Comparable to websites like eBay, Gumtree allows users to sell their various items and buy items that others have listed on the platform. The platform boasts millions of users and thousands of ads posted daily. Gumtree doesn’t have any associated listing fees making it an ideal place to market your wares.
Advantages of Gumtree
- No listing fees. Other online selling platforms like Etsy will charge you fees for listing your items on the platform regardless of how well they’re selling. With Gumtree you don’t have to worry about this so you can freely list as many items as you want.
- While the platform is primarily used for second-hand items you can sell new items on the platform as well. This means that whether you are attempting to expand your business to more customers or are simply looking to flog your unwanted items online, Gumtree could be a great choice for you.
- Less competitive than other similar online platforms. Since Gumtree is predominantly used by amateurs flogging unwanted items, you could have an advantage over your competition. If you know what you are doing and how to market yourself, you could easily appear near the top of the search results and get a lot of visibility for your store.
- The variety of items that you can sell on the store is enormous. Other than the items that are listed under their prohibited section you can sell pretty much anything. You can even specify for the buyer to pick up the item themselves rather than shelling out for delivery fees.
Disadvantages of Gumtree
- The platform is local only. Because Gumtree is only for selling items within your local area, you will not be able to ship your items out to other countries like the US. As a result, your potential business is much more limited then if you were to use a platform like eBay Etsy or Amazon.
- Gumtree has an extensive list of items that are prohibited from being sold on its platform. This includes obvious things such as illegal and hateful items, but it also includes things like digital items, knives (all varieties) and adult-only items. Take extra care ensuring that the items you want to sell don’t fall under the prohibited section, your account may be punished for selling these items.
- Users have reported some activity from scammers operating on the platform. Gumtree is taking steps to identify, and protect users from, scammers on the platform. Take caution when using the site and keep an eye out for scammers.
Tips to making money on Gumtree
- Make your ads as informative as possible. Gumtree lets you write a lot in order to fully describe your item, take advantage of it. Make sure your ad is well-formatted and easy to read. Go into detail about the condition, dimensions, and prior use of your item.
- In addition to text utilise the other features of the ad. Use multiple images to properly show off your item from many different angles. Make sure a common household item is also in the shot for scale. This way users will be able to accurately see its size. Gumtree lets you embed videos into your ad. If possible, record a video of your item in action and attach it to your ad.
- Do not be misleading or uninformative. Your account ratings are important to your continued success, do not annoy or disappoint your customers.
- Try to capitalise on and predict trends.
- Offer your customers choices. Be flexible in terms of delivery options. If you make their lives easier, they may be more likely to purchase your item.
How to sign up for Gumtree
- 1. First of all, head over to the Gumtree home page. Click on the Login/Register button at the top of the page.
2. Next click on the register tab to create a new account. Add in your name, email and create a password for the account.
3. Afterwards, an email will be sent to your address. Find that email and click on the link to activate your account. If the email isn’t there, look in your spam folder, if you still can’t find it simply resend the email.
4. You have now finished signing up and are ready to begin selling your items.