Table of Contents
Upwork is a platform for people to hire and become freelancers. Freelancers offer their services for tasks that other people require doing. Upwork was created when Elance and oDesk merged together a few years ago. According to their latest statistics, they have 5 million registered clients and 12 million registered freelancers. On average around 3 million jobs are posted to the platform every year. The amount that the freelancer is paid for the job depends on the nature and size of the task, often the pay is somewhat negotiated or will be undercut by another freelancer.
Benefits of Upwork
- Very large client base means that there are plenty of contracts to work on.
- Upwork allows you to remove 1 negative review from your account every 3 months. So if you get an unreasonable client, they won’t be able to tarnish your good reputation.
- As you work with one client more often your fee is continuously reduced. After $10,000 with one client, your fee is reduced down to 5% of your earnings.
- Clients can pay you bonuses for a job well done.
- Clients that are very happy with your work will be more than willing to recommend you to other potential clients and be likely to want to work with you again.
- The platform offers a large variety of work including jobs like graphic design.
Requirements To Sign Up
- Valid email address.
How To Sign Up
- First of all, head to the Upwork home page here to access the signup section. Click on the sign-up button at the top of the page.
- Once you are in the signup page you will need to add your name and an email address for your account. It may be best for you to create a separate email for this account.
- After your account has been confirmed as genuine you will need to add what country you are in and create a password for your account. You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions and state if you are signing as a client or freelancer.
- After you click work as a Freelancer you will be prompted to create an account username. Lastly, you will need to correctly input a captcha to prove that you are not a bot.
- An email will then be sent to the address that you gave earlier, find this email and click on the link to verify your email address.
- Once the account has been verified the last thing you need to do is add your credentials. This will let clients get a better understanding of what you are offering and make them more likely to hire you.
- If your application is successful, you are now fully set up and ready to begin job searching.