Table of Contents
- How to start babysitting for money
- Ideal fees for a babysitter
- How to earn more from babysitting
- Rules to babysitting
How To Start Babysitting For Money
Do you love babies? Do you love easy ways to make money? If both the answers are in the affirmative, then you can earn some extra money by babysitting. Working as a babysitter is one of the finest part-time jobs that you will ever get. You get to spend a chunk of your time with some adorable kids and also earn a significant amount of money by doing that. In fact, there are many who do babysitting because they want to add another achievement in their CV or add it as one of their job profiles. But before you go ahead and decide whether babysitting is ideal for you or not, here are a few reasons why thousands of people have already tried this job and become a master at it:
- The job pays you really well and with a flexible schedule, you can complete your daily chores at home and then go on to babysit.
- It will be an excellent experience if you are planning to work with children in the upcoming days such as becoming a primary teacher in the school or working as a nurse in the kids’ section of a hospital or even raising your own kids.
- Babysitting makes you more organized and punctual. Since you will have to follow the daily schedule of a baby, you will always have to be on your toes all the time. Starting from picking the baby up from school or making the kids go to sleep on time, a babysitting job will have a lot of positive impact on your life.
- Lastly, when you start babysitting for money, you actually give yourself a window of opportunity to earn a few extra bucks. Depending on how much the parents are going to pay you, this can turn out to be a real bonus if you are not doing any permanent job for the time being.
Ideal Fees For A Babysitter
You must be wondering that if you start babysitting for money, how much you are going to charge. Considering the fact that you have never done babysitting before, it is quite tough to determine the per-hour rate for this job. Most babysitters end up asking for way too less than what they should be doing. Although the payment for babysitting is still in the grey area, an easy tip that you can follow is to check the babysitting rates according to the postcode. Moreover, you should also understand your job role before being appointed; will you be cleaning the house or helping the kids with their homework or prepare meals for them or just sit around and play with the kids and make sure they are not doing anything naughty.
The number of individual jobs that you will along with babysitting, the more money you are eligible to get. Also, the postcode is another factor that you have to keep in mind. The posh areas pay more. So, keep an eye on that too! Currently, the average payment for babysitters is about £8 to 9 per hour. But again, you should understand the work that you have to do and the postcode that you will be working in.
Earn Some More By Babysitting
Keeping aside the fact that you will start babysitting for money, let’s take a look at some more ways in which you can earn a few extra bucks in this job. Remember, you will have to sacrifice some of your holidays and weekends to do this. Here’s what you can do:
1. Babysit on bank holidays and breaks
One of the easiest ways to earn some extra money in addition to the per-hour rate for normal days is by working on bank holidays and breaks. The parents will be so relieved if you can make yourself available on these days and honestly, you will not feel as if you are spending your holidays on nothing. After all, you can charge extra for these days and the parents will happily agree to that. They understand that you too are sacrificing your holidays to work and a few extra bucks will not burn a hole in their pocket. There are many babysitters who charge double the normal rate when they work during New Year ’s Eve or during the holidays.
2. Work on weekends
The weekend is the time when almost all the parents are busy with grocery shopping and organizing everything in the house. If you have nothing to do at your place during the weekend, why not start babysitting for money? You can stay overnight with the kids and take care of them for the whole weekend. Parents are more than willing to pay more to the babysitters if they work during the weekend in addition to the normal days. The question again is how much are you going to charge for the weekend? Weekend babysitting is calculated as an extra amount and does not come under the per-hour rate. So, it will be best to decide the money beforehand. You can ask for a certain sum of money that is more than what you will normally earn during the week.
3. Work during home events or parties
Birthdays of the kids can be an excellent way to earn a lot of money by babysitting. If you are willing to work on the birthday of the babies, then you can earn extra cash. However, you need to let the parents know that you can handle more kids when they come over for the birthday party. This will not exactly be like the kind of babysitting you normally do. You will be spending more time having fun with all the kids, entertaining them, and making sure they are under control. This is another way to impress other parents with your babysitting skills so that you can stand a chance to work for them later if you want.
Babysitting Job Rules
The first thing that comes to your mind when you are told to babysit is to take care of the kids. But it is important to know a few things before you get started. Given below are some of the things that you should do:
- Rule 1: Clarify if the house has any specific rules about encouraging kids to do something or refraining them from doing something such as playing with water or spending time watching TV, and so on. Different families prefer to deal with their kids in a certain way; make sure you understand that before you walk in to babysit for the first day.
- Rule 2: Try to learn what the kid is more interested in. You will have to remember their choice of toys, the stories they like, the things they want to do that make them happy, and how they behave around strangers. Keep in mind that you will have to be very friendly with the kids because they will be meeting someone completely new and sometimes, you will also have to play the role of their parents too.
- Rule 3: Keep the parents in the loop all the time. They would love to know what their kids are up to, if they have been doing their homework or if they have learned any new word, and so on. It will prove that you spend time with the kids instead of leaving them to watch television when the parents are away.
Babysitting can be a challenging job that makes you a better person in life. Plus, with the handsome pay, you are in for some cute moments along with instant cash.