Top 5 Credit Card Machines
Table of Contents
Top 5 Credit Card Machines
5 Best Credit Card Machines
As technology marches on and new innovations and improvements are added to our lives it is important for businesses to keep up. Over the years credit cards have become more widespread and less cash is carried on hand by the average person. While the ATM’s and PIN machines of old still persist as options for the modern consumer, new developments in this area are gaining traction. For a smaller business trying to establish itself, finding the right card reader could be the edge that you need to be competitive. Here we have compiled 5 of the best choices for card readers that your business can utilise.
iZettle Card Reader
The iZettle has become an extremely popular choice amongst UK businesses. It offers a wide variety of features and is quite affordable. They are one of the most competitively priced options on the market and are often the first choice of starting businesses. Here are a few reasons why you should consider using the iZettle Card Reader, as well as some limitations to using it.
- Has Bluetooth connection and works with the iZettle app.
- Contactless payments made through it are substantially faster than other machines, especially on smaller purchases.
- No monthly fees associated with the service.
- The long-lasting battery and short recharge time. Can also be charged via a USB cable as well as the dedicated charging dock.
- Accepts tap payments, swipe payments, chip, and PIN.
- Credit card data encryption.
- Transaction fee. You will be charged a fee of 1.75% percent on every transaction carried out.
- Maximum amount per transaction cannot exceed £5000. This can present an issue for businesses wishing to sell items in bulk.
SumUp share similarities with iZettle. Both are dedicated credit card machine producers, and both offer a flat transaction fee. Here are some reasons to consider using SumUp for your business needs.
- They accept all major credit and debit cards.
- No monthly fees. No signup fees other than the cost of the card readers themselves.
- Accepts all forms of payment. Swipe, tap, PIN and chip payments.
- No contract required.
- Compatible with Bluetooth, Android devices and iOS tablets.
- Fixed fee on all transactions. This fee is 1.75%. For businesses that make most of their sales through cards, this is less than ideal.
- Card readers cost more than competitors like PayPal Here.
- Lack of add on products to expand the reader’s functionality.
PayPal is a long-established online transaction service. They are an extremely popular method of carrying out both personal and business transactions. They are now throwing their hat in the ring for the credit card reader market. Here is why you should consider using them.
- Not required to commit to a fixed-term contract.
- Built-in PayPal integration and connects to your PayPal account.
- The customer support team are based in the UK.
- Compatible with both Apple Pay and Google Pay.
- Transaction fees change based on the card used. This can be quite a hassle to track for your profits.
- Only accepts major credit and debit cards.
- Machines cost more than most of the competition.
Shopify is one of the leading eCommerce platforms. They are widely used for online stores and are now expanding into supporting physical stores with their card reader. The main reason to use POS is if you already use Shopify you that you can take advantage of the Shopify account integration. There are other benefits to this as well listed below.
- Full integration with your Shopify account.
- Accepts two different payment methods within the same transaction.
- Automatically calculates taxes.
- Allows you to create your own custom payment options. E.g. cheques.
- Allows you to search for past orders made in the store. Can filter by product, time, customer etc.
- Lets you give store credit to customers instead of a refund.
- Have to subscribe to a plan with monthly payments.
- Multiple tiers of plans, each plan has a cap on the number of staff accounts that can be created.
- Card readers cost more than other competitors.
Barclaycard Anywhere is Barclay’s solution to card readers. It has been on the market for a few years and has not received many updates to its design. Here are some reasons why you should consider using it.
- No monthly fees or contracts to sign.
- Supports iOS and Android.
- Highly trusted banking brand behind the product.
- Real-time tracking of transactions.
- Strong security measures.
- The transaction fee is 2.60% on each transaction. This is higher than iZettle’s rate of 1.75%. For businesses that mostly handle transactions via card, this option is significantly more expensive.
- Only accept Mastercard and Visa which can be quite frustrating for customers.
- The mobile app associated with the card reader is extremely basic and outdated.
- Missing features like additional attachments and customisation options that other card readers have.